Sparkler Safety on Independence Day

» Posted by on Jul 3, 2013 in Just For Fun | 0 comments

Fireworks SafetySparklers burn around 1,000 people per year and around 50% of sparkler injuries happen to children under five. Sparklers reach 1,800° Fahrenheit when the chemical mixture on the wire is lit and stay hot after the sizzling is complete.

Kids love Sparklers and, even if you’d never buy them, you might find your child begging to hold one at your Fourth of July celebration. Don’t be afraid to say no, of course, but if you do say yes, children should be shown how to safely hold it and should be supervised closely.

Here are some other good tips to keep in mind. 

  • An adult should light one sparkler at a time.
  • Children should be standing and holding the wire at arms length.
  • Everyone using a sparkler should be more than an arms length away from one another.
  • Instruct children not to throw or swing sparklers.
  • Remind children the wire stays hot after it is extinguished.
  • Have a glass or bucket of water for sparkler disposal.

Sources
Consumer Product Safety Commission’s 2004 Fireworks Annual Report
Good Housekeeping

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>