Join us this year as we celebrate our theme — Festivus – A Tribute to Our Wonderful Waldorf Celebrations Throughout the Year.
Time: November 17, 2012 / 10 am to 4pm
Location:1791 South Jacoby Rd in Copley, OH. At Spring Garden Waldorf School
Cost: Admission to the event is $2. $1 goes to SGWS and the other is donated to the Good Samaritan Hunger Center.
Activities from 2011 (2012 activity specifics coming soon!):
- Unique kid crafts like sewing, tie dyeing and more
- Music from great local bands like Hey Mavis
- Young child entertainment like puppet shows, marble room, and the infamous magical cookie fairy and boat rooms
- Older child entertainment like the pocket person hunt and trebuchet challenge
- Eating wholesome and delicious homemade food and baked goods
- Shopping at a handmade artists’ market, child-item raffles and our special child-only shop for Mom and Dad holiday room
- Hey Mavis – 10:30 am
Hey Mavis crosses the genres of Americana, Texas Two-step, Bluegrass, Folk, and Art Rock. In their songwriting, the trio finds the fine threads within stories of all types–from the fantastic to everyday–and weaves them into “captivating musical journeys.”
- Zach – 1:00 pm
Buzzbin Magazine says, “This born and bred northeast Ohioan has made his mark on the music industry by playing with the likes of Chicago, Bad Company, and Bo Diddley. . . .His songs are catchy and encapsulate a perfect folk-rock blend. . . .He mixes memorable lyrics with great harmony that makes for a triumphant sound.”
- Kent African Drumming – 3:30 pm
Kent Drum Community is a traditional drumming tribe that emphasizes West African rhythms.
- Cookie Fairy Room – A maze filled with light and greenery beckons and delights. What’s at the end? A delicious cookie! But not just any cookie — it’s a homemade star cookie given to each child by a beautiful fairy sitting atop her throne.
- Boat Room – Children enter a darkened room, hear the sounds of waves and ships at bay, and watch in wonder as a life-size boat approaches, as if by magic, over gently waving fabric waters. But wait! The boat holds a special treasure for that child. What will it be?
- Marble Room – The Akron Toy and Marble Museum has donated marbles and supplies for this year’s marble room, which is a child favorite at all ages. Thank you Akron Toy and Marble Museum!
- Tie Dye Craft Room – Kids love to tie dye, so leave the mess and prep work to us! Everything needed is provided and kids walk away with their special tie dyed item, sealed in a bag, and ready to dry at home and wear.
- Science Room – Live Science Experiments! Our teachers will be doing live, high-interest presentations for the children. Don’t miss it.
- Puppet Room – The little ones will love stopping by and seeing our early childhood teachers tell gentle, engaging stories through puppet shows.
- Alumni Coffee House – New this year. Come relax and enjoy the open mic.
- Chair Massage Room — Why should the kids have all the fun? After you Christmas shop with our vendors, take a load off in a massage chair for $1 a minute relaxation.
- Find The Pocket Person — Kids love to choose their mystery treasure from the pocket person, but first, they have to find him or her! In addition to wearing something that hides many pockets of little gifts, this person also jingles when they walk. Keep you eyes and ears out for this fun traveler!
- Trebuchet Apple Launch — Older kids and kids at heart can come outside and launch apple bombs against our sworn enemy . . . the um … deer in the back acreage that like apples. Who needs an enemy? We just want to launch stuff!
- Secret Garden Shopping – Children enter this room with small bills and big smiles while parents wait outside. They shop with our parent volunteers and choose from the special items provided by our 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. They emerge from the room with a wrapped gift for a special someone, a sheepish smile, and a special secret.
- Artisan Market — Experience the creative wares of 24 hand picked vendors at this year’s market. Many child-friendly items and great holiday finds will be available.
- Children’s Item Raffle — Kids love to drop a ticket in the slot and bid on their favorite toys, games and crafts in the child-item raffle. Lots of parents bid too. Winning and hoping to win is fun for the whole family.