This Week’s Events …
- Friday, October 25
- Assembly – 9:00 a.m – Assemblies are a time when students in Grades 2 through 8 share some of the songs and/or activities they have been doing in class. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to attend, as it will help strengthen your understanding of the depth of experience children receive through a Waldorf education.
- Grades 7 & 8 Dance – 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, October 27
- Monster Dash and Trick-or-Trot – 8:30 a.m. – Click here to register!
Mark Your Calendars …
- October 30
- October 31
- Early Dismissal – 2:00 p.m.
- Halloween Festival and Pumpkin Walk – 6:30 p.m.
- November 1
- NO SCHOOL – Parent-Teacher Conferences
- November 4
- NO SCHOOL – Parent-Teacher Conferences
Science in Grade 5
Story by Michael Gannon
The Grade 5 science curriculum includes in-depth study of plants and their functions. Reaching students when they are ready for a more detailed understanding of the world, the curriculum enables students to eagerly explore the common elements between plants to arrive at their own understanding of botany.
To enrich this experience, Mr. Gannon’s class went last week to the Cleveland Botanical Gardens, where they made terrariums, discussed different ecosystems with a biologist, and spent some time exploring on their own in the outdoor gardens.
Halloween Festival Reminders
- Students in Grades 1 through 8 should bring a clean, gutted pumpkin to school on Monday, October 28.
- Early Childhood students should follow the guidelines for pumpkin carving sent to parents by teachers last week.
- The Halloween Festival will be from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 31.
- The Pumpkin Walk will be from 6:30 – 7:15 p.m. — please plan to arrive by 7:00.
- We are still looking for volunteers to serve cider, tend the bonfire, and clean up after the Festival. Please sign up on the sheet posted on the main office door.
- For complete details, please refer to the flier that was placed in mailboxes last week or click here to download a copy.
Last Chance to Get In On This Awesome Event That Benefits Spring Garden Waldorf School! Click here to register today for Monster Dash, the 5K Halloween event that Benefits Spring Garden Waldorf School!
Monster Dash will take place at the Akron Civic Theater on Sunday, October 27, at 9:15 a.m. Costumed and non-costumed runners alike are welcome!
Immediately preceding Monster Dash is Trick-or-Trot, a family fun walk and opportunity for children to take part in the costumed fun! Trick-or-Trot begins at 8:30 a.m. Registration is free up to race day, or $5 on the day of the event. Click here to register in advance online. You can also click here to download a paper copy of the registration form, or you can pick up a registration form from the office.
Questions? Please contact Katie Greenwald firstname.lastname@example.org.
Five Thousand Hours of Service
The final tally for 2012-13 Service Hours is in, and we are thrilled to announce that, as a community, you provided us with just over 5,000 hours of service. Thank you one and all for your willingness to help make Spring Garden Waldorf School a better place!
Whenever you perform service to the school — whether doing classroom laundry or attending class meetings, participating in work days or on committees for special events — please be sure to log your hours in the Service Contract Hours binder in the main office. We will be in touch with each of you in the next few weeks to give you an update on where you stand in fulfilling your service hours. And if you’re unsure how your talents can best be used to fill those hours, please feel free to stop by the office. We can help you find the task that’s right for you!
SGWS Annual Auction Planning Starting Soon!
On March 22, 2014, SGWS will host its 25th Annual Auction. It’s imperative that our community comes together to make sure the event is a success. There are a few different ways to get involved with this important event:
– Join the Planning Committee. Many of the tasks are simple and can easily be on your own schedule and/or from your home.
– Work with your child’s class to create a beautiful item for the live auction.
– Volunteer to help at the event (setting up, selling raffle tickets, assisting with the silent auction).
– Seek out ads for the program book and financial sponsors for the event.
The Kick-Off Meeting will be held on Thursday, October 31st at 9:00 am in the School Store. If you are willing to join in the fun and help us make this our most exciting event yet, please plan on attending this meeting. If you would like to help but are not able to make it to the meeting, please contact the Auction Committee Chair, Sandy Conley , at email@example.com.
Remember that your effort assisting with the Auction counts toward your service hours, so don’t be shy about getting involved.
Together, we can continue to grow and make this exceptional educational opportunity available for our children, as well as share it with children of our future. We look forward to your participation in this event!
Mardi Gras Bash Planning Underway
Would you like to fulfill some of your contract service hours working on a fun project? Come help plan the Second Annual Akron Mardi Gras Bash! We need a team of four or five people who can help organize the event. This does not require many hours, and much of the work can be done from home.
Please email Jennifer Myers to sign up. We need volunteers ASAP so the planning can begin!
2013 Children’s Festival and Artists’ Market
Planning is well under way for the annual Children’s Festival and Artists’ Market at SGWS!
When: November 16
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The theme for this year is “Peace Begins with One Head, One Heart, and One Hand.”
This event brings over 600 attendees to SGWS for a magical blend of creative activities, enchanted attractions, great food, amazing entertainment, and fabulous shopping. We hope you can join us!
Every class is involved, through their parents, in supporting this Festival. Watch for more information over the next few weeks.
Currently we are accepting vendor applications for the Artists’ Market. We request that all items sold at the Artists’ Market are handmade. Natural materials/fibers and old-fashioned craftsmanship are preferred. If you or someone you know is interested in participating as a vendor, click here to download the Vendor Application Form or contact the school office. Space is limited — please inquire ASAP!
School Store Catalog Party Next Month!
We are pleased to announce the upcoming dates for our second annual Catalog Party:
Thursday, November 7 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
3:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Friday, November 8 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Stop in and make your selection from many catalogs featuring Waldorf-friendly toys, books, puzzles, candles, yarn, and much more! Although it may feel early to make holiday purchases in November, we need time to get these items shipped (some from Germany) before school lets out for winter break.
By participating in this catalog party, you will …
… have access to unique gifts not readily available locally
… eliminate shipping costs
… avoid long lines
… receive special SGWS discounts on featured items
… benefit SGWS, not those big-box stores or out-of-state retailers
Please encourage friends and family to participate, too! Enjoy complimentary refreshments, a chance to win door prizes, and a fun shopping atmosphere.